Interesting Facts From George Chung Realtors – March 2014
- In the 1850s, the Howard Banking Company printed legal tender with Santa Claus on his sleigh with reindeer. From the time the American Revolution ended until 1861 private banks were the ones who printed legal tender.
- John Adams was the first American president to live in the White House.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) is the only U.S. president who was also a licensed bartender. He was co-owner of Be-ry and Lincoln, a saloon in Springfield, Illinois.
- The only president to be unanimously elected was George Washington (1732-1799). He also refused to accept his presidential salary, which was $25,000 a year.
- “Teddy Bears” were so named when Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt (1858-1919) refused to shoot a small bear cub one day. The incident was reported in the news, which inspired a toy manufacture to come out with the cute stuffed animals.